Book Talk Thursday ~ St. Patrick's Day Edition {with freebies}

It is that time of week again ~ Book Talk Thursday!

I have TWO freebies for you in this post, so read on to find them!

Since St. Patrick's Day is right around the corner, I am going to showcase two different books that I plan to use with my students next week.   Since I am testing, I am going to do more read-alouds with my students.

With my first and second graders, I am going to use That's What Leprechauns Do by Eve Bunting.

The book is about three leprechauns, Boo, Col, and Ari have to go on a mission to put the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.  They all say they will go on the journey and make no mischief, but the problem is that the leprechauns cannot stay out of mischief.  It all starts when they paint the cow's hooves red and continues on from there.  The story leaves the reader wondering if they will put the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.  The children will love the story and laugh along the way at the three mischievous leprechauns!

I am going to do a lot of predicting and sequencing with the students.  Since I will actually be able to see my first and second graders each day, I am going to use my Catch a Leprechaun book and rhyming game with the students.  You can grab it from my TPT store or TN shop.


Since you have made it this far, here is your first freebie!  I shared this on Monday, but in case you missed it, here is the game board with blank game cards that you can use with any concept!  Grab it and have some fun! Click on the picture to grab it!

Now for the second book!  My third graders are still working on character traits.  After working with biographies in their class, I thought this was fitting.  This week we are going to focus on how characters change throughout the story.  I am going to use The Leprechaun's Gold by Pamela Duncan Edwards to guide the students through the process.
The story is about Old Pat and Young Tom, who are both harpists.   Tom learned to play the harp from Old Pat but thinks that he is a better harpist and should always charge money.  The king decides to hold a contest to see who the best harpist in the land is, so they both decide to travel together to play in the king's contest.  Tom realizes that he will lose to Pat, so he destroys Pat's harp, making it unable to play beautifully.  Along the way, they hear a leprechaun who needs help, so Pat chooses to help the leprechaun.  The sincere hospitality of Pat helps the leprechauns show their gratitude.

In the story, Young Tom changes his attitude, so I am going to use this Character Change Chart to help them understand that characters can change in a story.  This is your second freebie!  You can use this with any book that has a character that changes throughout the story.  Just click here or on the picture below to grab it.
I am also going to do a little context clues work with them, since this activity won't take all week.  I just created this context clues game using the above gameboard.  It is on sale for half price through the weekend, so grab it in my TPT store or TN shop.
I hope these will help you plan for St. Patrick's Day!  These two books are great for helping children understand parts of literature.  Enjoy!

Until next time!

4 comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are some great ideas for St. Patrick's Day! I had not heard of those books. I will definitely need to check them out, especially the one by Eve Bunting. I am a huge fan of hers. Thanks!

    Amy
    Eclectic Educating

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the freebies! I'm also looking forward to finding the Eve Bunting book -- sounds great! My students LOVE read-alouds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! The Eve Bunting book was a fun find! My kids have loved it!

      Andrea

      Delete

Leave a comment, tell me your thoughts!